You've heard the benefits of coconuts for humans? Well, that transfers to your dogs health, too! That's great news when you look at what advocates of coconut oil are saying. Here's some of the benefits although there have been no clinical trials. Check out this list:
- *Reduces risk of cancer and other degenerative conditions
- *Improves choesterol levels and helps fight heart disease
- *Improves digestion
- *Get rid of disorders like Crohn's disease, irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers and colitis
- *Powerful antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal agents that prevent infection and disease
- *Helps arthritis
- *Treats yeast and fungal infections
- *Prevents viral infections
- *Normal thyroid function
- *Reduces allergic reactions
Coconut oil today can easily be found at your local health food store and not only can be ingested but, also applied topically. Dogs love the taste so incorporating it into their diet may be easier than you think. Go slow at first as not to create diarrhea. 1/2 tsp per small dog and 1 tsp per large dog daily. The optimum dose is 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of dog, or 1 tablespoon per 30 pounds. Although, each dog can vary for what is ideal for that dog.
Internet forums suggest that overweight dogs can become lean, coats are super shiny and arthritic dogs walk much better with it. Contact dermatitis, hot spots, and other allergic reactions can be soothed by topically applying coconut oil or adding it to their food. You can even use it to improve your dog's breath! The dogs generally love the taste so make sure if put on topically that it is allowed to dry before they lick it all off.
Don't forget about buying fresh coconuts which can keep your dog busy for hours. Check out the internet on how to open and remove the coconut water (which your dog can also drink). Split the coconut in half or in several pieces and let your dog chew away.
So, take your coconut daily and include your dog in this healthy routine!